Selected Library Policies and Procedures
Fall/Spring Library Hours
|Monday - Thursday
||7:30 AM - Midnight
||7:30 AM - 6:00 PM
||12:00 PM - 6:00 PM
||12:00 PM - Midnight
What to Bring
- Your Validated Campus ID Card - You will be asked to present your campus ID card (or other photo ID) to the security guard before entering the library. A Woodruff Library barcode is needed for borrowing books. A barcode will only be issued to those persons who have a valid campus ID card.
- Money- Copies are 10¢ per page for photocopying and printing (color copies are 50¢ per page). You will need to purchase a copy card to complete these transactions (machine will accept dollar bills only). The initial cost of the card is $1.00 (50¢ for a card that will copy/print 5 pages). A bill changer is located next to the Reference Desk.
- Flash Drive - Download full-text articles from the library's databases or save your research paper while working in the computer lab.
- Your Email Address - Full-text articles may also be emailed from the library's databases.
- Your Assignment Information - Having all of the required information regarding your assignment will help our Reference Librarians serve you better.
Book Stack Locations
- Main Stacks
A-BR Lower Level, downstairs and to the left
BS-BX Main Level, to the left
C-N Upper Level, to the left
P-Z Upper Level, to the right
- Archives and Special Collections
Upper Level, go through the Exhibition Hall and to the left
- Government Documents
Main Level, right back corner
Current Periodicals: Main Level, left back corner Bound Periodicals (older issues): Main level, right side, behind glass wall.
- Reference Books
Main Level, front right corner
- Theses and Dissertations
Main Level, right side, between Reference Books and Bound Periodicals
Using the Library Catalog
Click on the "Library Catalog" link. This will open up the Exact Search page.
Title Search - Move the cursor into the "Find This" box and type in the main words of the title. Click on the "Search" button.
Author Search - Move the cursor into the "Find This" box and type in the author's last name, a comma and then the author's first name. Click on the "Search" button.
Journal Search - Move the cursor into the "Find This" box and type in the name of the journal. Click on the "Search" button.
You may also conduct an exact search using the Call Number, ISBN number (books), ISSN number (journals), or Subject Headings.
The Keyword Search page will allow you to use Boolean logic OR, AND, or NOT) to connect search terms.
OR logic collates the results to retrieve all the unique records containing one term, the other, or both.
- Search for cats OR felines
Using AND logic we retrieve records in which BOTH of the search terms are present.
- Search for adult AND education
NOT logic excludes records from your search results.
- Search for radiation NOT nuclear radiation
Search results are displayed 25 records at a time. To see the next set of records, click on the "Next" button at the bottom of the page.
Search results can be limited by language, date, medium, and place of publication. Click on the "Limits" button in the lower right corner of the screen and select the appropriate limit categories. Once you are done, click on the "Set Limits" button to apply the limits to your search strategy. Hint: Remember to set limits before processing your search strategy.
Book Classification System
The books in our library are arranged on the shelves according the Library of Congress (LC) Classification System. The LC classification system divides knowledge into 20 subject classes. Each class is designated by a letter of the alphabet and is then further subdivided into subclasses by combining the original letter with additional letters and numbers. The 20 subject classes are listed below:
- A General Works, Encyclopedias, Almanacs
- B Philosophy, Psychology, Religion
- C Auxiliary Sciences of History
- D History: General and Outside
- E History: Western Hemisphere
- F History: United States
- G Geography, Anthropology, Recreation
- H Social Sciences
- J Political Science
- K Law
- L Education
- M Music
- N Fine Arts
- P Language and the Americas Literature
- Q Science
- R Medicine
- S Agriculture
- T Technology
- U Military Science
- V Naval Science
- W Move
- X Move
- Y Move
- Z Bibliography, Library Science