Help Desk Number:
Dow Jones Research Center
Established in 1996 by a grant from Dow Jones Corporation, the Dow Jones Resource Center (DJRC) is one of the cornerstone services of the Robert W. Woodruff Library. The Center exists primarily to support the curriculum and research needs of the faculty and students of the Business and Economics programs of Atlanta University Center member institutions. The DJRC provides an array of business and economics databases to support instruction and research in the areas of Accounting, Decision Science, Economics, Finance, Management and Marketing. Access to "Wall Street" caliber databases such as Bloomberg, Investext Plus, ValueLine, Standard & Poor's, Economist, EIU ViewsWire, the Global Market Information Database and others are available through the Center. Our customer centric, knowledgeable staff assists with research, training and instruction on featured resources. The DJRC is committed to partnering with Atlanta University Center faculty to provide quality resources and services that contribute to student academic success and leadership in an increasingly competitive, global community.
Business & Economics Electronic Resources
How do I create a 3-Month stock chart?
Using Yahoo! Finance, a stock chart can be created for various timeframes. Simply input the symbol on the Yahoo! Finance website (www.yahoo.com/r/f1), and click on the "chart" hyperlink in blue after the stock's information is displayed. If a stock chart created in Microsoft Excel is desired, the stock price information from Yahoo! Finance can be downloaded directly into Excel. Click on the "historical prices" hyperlink, and then input the desired date range. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and select, "download spreadsheet data." The data will be transferred to Excel, and is able to be manipulated into a graph using the "chart" function located within Microsoft Excel.
Where is a company's Proxy Statement located?
All publicly traded companies file their released proxy statements with the Securities and Exchange Commission. These proxy statements can be found on the www.sec.gov website, as well as on the firms' websites in their registered filings section.
Where can I find a company's Corporate Governance?
Publicly traded firms must show their most senior executives and their respective base salaries in the companies' annual reports and 10-K's. Also, in the "Notes to the Financial Statements" (in the annual reports) firms will disclose the amounts of cash paid for stock options corresponding to executives' stock option plans. Additional information about how senior management is compensated may be found by reading the "Management Discussion & Analysis" section of a public company? s annual report.
What is the exact industry in which my company is located?
Different investment reporting/information systems use slightly differing titles for various industries. This can cause difficulty when trying to determine the exact industry in which a company operates. Because public entities often operate within several industries at once (for instance General Electric has an electric components segment, consumer lending section, and broadcasting segment), the chosen industry may vary between investment information systems
How can I find information about a company's long-term revenues (beyond 5 years), which shows how its business has grown over time?
ValueLine (accessible from www.auctr.edu/djrc/djrcer.htm) information system lists a one-page report on public companies. Included in this page is the "revenues per share" data for at least the last 15 years, if the firm has operated that long. By multiplying this figure by the number of shares outstanding, the total revenues can be determined for the entire time period.
Subject-Specific Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
General Business Q&A
1. Where do I find information about business schools?
BSchool.com, Inc. , Businessweek.com (rankings and profiles)
2. How do I find information on writing a business plan?
Opportunity Funding Corporation (click on Resources)
3. How do I find exchange rates?
Bloomberg (Currency Calculator), FRED (Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis), Universal Currency Converter
4. How do I find journal or newspaper articles?
Business & Industry, Business Source Premier, Lexis-Nexis, ABI/Inform, Factiva
5. Where can I find a variety of legal information, for example: cases, law review articles, etc.?
Lexis/Nexis. (click on Legal Research)
6. Where can I find the List of Lists?
Gary Price's List of Lists
7. Where can I get access to public records?
Free Public Records
8. Where can I find information on U.S. businesses by gender, race, and ethnicity?
Survey of Business Owners and Self-employed Persons (U.S. Census Bureau)
9. Where can I find the North American Product Classification System?
North American Product Classification System
10. Where can I find business and legal forms?
Company and Industry Q&A
1. Where can I find a list of competitors for a particular company?
Hoover's Online and ValueLine Investment Survey. Hoovers provides competitor by revenue. ValueLine gives competitor information based on market capitalization.
2. Where can I find the most recent EDGAR filings for a company?
Mergents, Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
3. Where can I find a S.W.O.T. analysis for a company?
Datamonitor (Business Source Premier)
4. How do I find current and past news articles about a company?
ABI/Inform, Factiva, Business Source Premier
5. Where can I find the company history information?
Business & Company Resource Center, Datamonitor (Business Source Premier)
6. Where can I find a company ticker symbol?
Bloomberg, Hoover's Online, Yahoo Finance
7. Where is a company's Proxy Statement located?
Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) , Corporate Websites
8. Where can I find industry surveys for a particular industry industry?
Standard & Poor's NetAdvantage
1. How can I find articles on Econometrics?
EconLit, ABI/Inform, Business Source Premier, Factiva
2. Where do I find information about energy, including prices and production?
Bloomberg (Type NRG for the Bloomberg Energy Service. For location and fuel type of power plants, type the company's ticker symbol, hit the EQUITY key, type NRGA. For OPEC prices and production, type OPEC and hit GO. For crude oil type CRUD and hit GO)
3. How do I find data from the Federal Reserve Board?
Federal Reserve Board
4. How do I find U.S. macroeconomic data, (e.g., CPI, GDP, economic indicators)?
EIU Country Data and STAT-USA also take a look at FRED the economic time series database of the FRB of St. Louis
5. Where can I find historical and current economic data for countries worldwide?
Euromonitor's Global Market Information Database (GMID), Bloomberg (Type ECST and hit GO)
1. Where can I find information on accounting and auditing standards from FASB, EITF, AICPA, SEC, PCAOB and IASB?
Accounting Research Manager
2. Where can I find analysis reports form the "Big Four" (Ernst & Young, Deloitte & Touche, PricewaterhousCoopers,
KPMG Peat Marwick) and the Miller Guides? Accounting Research Manager
3. How do I find information on guidelines for audits of government organizations, programs, activities, functions, and
government assistance? General Accounting Office (GAO)
4. Where do I find full text articles regarding the accounting industry?
ABI/Inform, Business Source Premier
5. What sources are available for written discussions and analysis of accounting and auditing standards?
Accounting Research Manager, Miller Guides (Accounting Research Manager), LexisNexis Academic
6. Where do I find information on international accounting standards?
GAAP Convergence 2002 (Published by the International Forum on Accountancy Development- IFAD), International Accounting Standards Board (IASB), International Federation of Accountants (IFAC) , Miller European GAAP Guide (Available through LexisNexis Academic)
1. How do I create a 3-Month stock chart?
2. How do I find bank rates, including mortgage rates?
Bankrate.com , Banxquote , Mortagage Rate Statistics
3. How do I find data on futures, options, and commodities?
4. Where can I find earnings per share (EPS) data and EPS growth?
Bloomberg (For earnings per share (EPS), type the ticker symbol of the company you want, hit the yellow Equity key, type ERN and hit GO For EPS Growth, type EPS growth and hit the green Help key) , Factiva ( choose Companies/Markets then enter name or stock symbol. Go to Custom Report and choose Income Statement and/or Growth Rates & Outlook)
5. Where can I find historical stock prices?
Bloomberg (Type the stock's ticker symbol, then hit EQUITY and then GO Choose Historical Prices)
6. Where can I find information on corporate finance?
Business Source Premier, ABI/Inform
7. Where can I find additions and deletions of companies in the major stock indices?
Bloomberg (Type ADD and hit Go: Data is available for the following indices: S&P 500, S&P Midcap 400, S&P SmallCap 600, Dax Index, Dax 100, Nikkei 225)
1. How do I find articles on Marketing?
Business & Industry, Factiva, Business Source Premier, ABI/Inform
2. Where can I find information on brand names?
Business & Industry, Euromonitor's Global Market Information Database (GMID), Bloomberg (Enter [Ticker symbol] [equity] rels [GO], then type 15 for a list), Brands and Their Companies (Reference: REF T223.V4 A25 )
3. How do I find data on consumer demographics and buying behavior?
Euromonitor's Global Market Information Database (GMID), The Lifestyle Market Analyst (Reference: HF5415.33.U6 L54 )
4. Where can I find marketing data on the Black community?
Target Market News -The Black Consumer Market Authority
5. Where can I find marketing forecasts worldwide?
Euromonitor's Global Market Information Database (GMID)
6. How can I find information on market research, including market research reports?
Euromonitor's Global Market Information Database, Stat-USA, Datamonitor (Business Source Premier - Choose: Company Profiles), Business & Industry
International Business Q&A
1. How do I find business analysis, data, and economic and industry forecasts for non-U.S. countries?
Euromonitor's Global Market Database (GMID)
2. Where can I find information on international companies?
Hoover's Online, Euromonitor's Global Market Database (GMID)
3. How do I find information on U.S. or non-U.S. investing, licensing and trading?
4. Where can I find profiles of countries?
5. Where can I find information on cultural differences relating to business?
Going Global Career Guides available on ABI/Inform (Do a Publication Search and enter: going global)
6. How can I compare the costs of doing business in North America, Europe, and Japan?
7. Where can I get recent analyses of political and industry news worldwide?
EIU Viewswire, Factiva (search rst=EIUCP)
1. Where can I find changes in management?
Factiva, Bloomberg (Search News. Type N and press GO Type < STRONGPEOPLE < strong >and then choose: Whos' News-People
2. Where can I find a company's Corporate Governance?
Hoover's Online, Datamonitor (Business Source Premier), 10-K Annual Reports
3. How do I find articles on management?
Business Source Premier, ABI/Inform, Factiva
4. Where can I find information on executive recruiting?
The Directory of Executive Recruiters (Reference: HF5549.5.R44D58 )
User Guides (Economics, Business)
Atlanta University Business and Economics Programs
- Clark Atlanta University - School of Business Administration
- Morehouse College - Division of Business & Economics
- Spelman College - Department of Economics
- Accounting Research Manager
- CEO Express
- Virtual Reference Desk - Breaking news, hot issues, experts, Weather, Sports
- Fast Company
- Securities Exchange Commission (SEC)
- American Stock Exchange
- New York Stock Exchange
- International Stock Exchanges