Help Desk Number:
(404) 978-2067 or
Education Resource Center
The Education Resource Center (ERC) was established to support the education curricula of the Atlanta University Center schools with materials for the classroom practitioner/teacher (beginning & veteran), comprehensive curricula for grades K-12, and historical pedagogy.
To ensure that all criteria of a balanced and representative teacher education program are met, the ERC's holdings have been greatly enhanced in quality and quantity. Due to collaborative efforts between the library's education subject specialist and the faculty, we provide resources that strengthen the education major's preparation and performance. The ERC will continue to strive in all areas of collection development to enrich its holdings for "America 2000 - the 21st Century".
BORROWING ERC MATERIALS AND USING EQUIPMENT
- Educational and juvenile books are located on the upper and main levels of the circulating collection. Books can be checked out for 28 days.
- Non-circulating materials (e.g., professional books, award books, textbooks) must be used in the Library only.
- Videotapes, DVDs, etc. will circulate to faculty and students for seven (7) days.
- Teaching aids (e.g., manipulatives, globes, puzzles, etc.) can be checked out of the ERC on the day of a class presentation only. VCRs, audiotape players and CD/DVD players can be used by faculty, students and staff in library only.
- The ERC's book collection covers the following LC class ranges:
- BF - Psychology
- LB - Theory and Practice of Education
- LC - Special Aspects of Education
- LD - Individual Institutions, United States
- LT - Textbooks
The book collection includes materials on or about teacher education, counseling and psychological services, educational leadership, and juvenile materials. In addition to monographs (i.e., professional books, textbooks, and juvenile literature), the ERC houses vertical files and audiovisual materials supporting the educationa currica, and CD-ROMs covering communication skills, language arts, mathematics, science, and social sciences for grades K-12.
Selection and de-selection of education titles follows guidelines and standards for both professional and accreditation purposes (e.g., NCATE, GAPSC). Education faculty are encouraged to select and recommend new materials for the ERC.
The ERC also houses non-print materials for other academic disciplines. Compact discs, videocassettes, and audiotapes are available to enhance learning and teaching in foreign languages, literature, visual and performing arts, mass communication and film.
- The Education Resource Center (ERC) is located on the main level of the Robert W. Woodruff Library.
PLACING ITEMS ON RESERVE
- Faculty members may place on reserve their audiovisual materials for required viewing/listening by students. Faculty members may also request ERC audiovisual materials for short-term reserve (i.e., two (2) weeks from the date of reserve request) for class viewing/listening.
SPECIAL NEEDS SERVICES
- The ERC provides access to the following equipment for library users with special needs:
- Closed circuit television and Kurzwell Reading Edge.
- Space provision for the hearing impaired with certified language interpreter.