Student Code of Conduct
STUDENT CODE OF CONDUCT IN LIBRARY BUILDING
The Atlanta University Center (AUC) Robert W. Woodruff Library is an academic venue designed for intellectual and social engagement. Library users must display acceptable behavior and respect for the needs of others in this learning environment. As a result, users should avoid the following:
- Creating a disturbance and/or interference with the use of the Library, such as using the Library for prolonged sleeping or as living quarters, or personal hygiene or body odor that interferes with Library use.
- Soliciting, vending, or peddling in the Library (e.g. running small businesses such as hair care services).
- Posting or distributing materials without permission from the CEO/Library Director’s Office.
- Harassing Library staff or users.
- Engaging in lewd or indecent behavior is also considered unacceptable.
- Conducting conversations individually or in groups above normal conversational levels so as not to disturb other nearby users. (Note: The behavior of individuals or study groups must not disturb others. Staff may ask groups to relocate within the building or to a campus location if the group is disruptive.)
- Listening to audio without headphones (Note: Headphones must always be used). Noise levels must be such that they are not audible to other persons in the vicinity.
- Consuming food and beverages contrary to the Library’s food policy.
All AUC Woodruff Library staff are authorized to enforce the Library’s Student Code of Conduct. Individuals who fail to govern themselves appropriately may be temporarily or permanently denied access to the Library’s physical or virtual spaces. Because the Library is an extension of the individual’s school, that individual’s misconduct may be reported to their school as a violation of their campus code of conduct.
Concerns about this policy should be directed to the Associate Library Director.
STUDENT CODE OF CONDUCT ON LIBRARY GREENSCAPE
The Library Greenscape (Brawley Greenspace Pedestrian Parkway) is monitored via closed-circuit cameras 24 hours a day. The Greenscape area is open daily between 8 a.m. and 11 p.m. Use of the Greenscape requires consent from the AUC Robert W. Woodruff Library.
The following rules will be enforced at all times:
- Intoxicants, drugs, firearms, and gambling in any form are prohibited
- Unsanctioned events (large and small student gatherings, parties, community groups, etc.) are not permitted at any time.
- No boisterous, indecent, or vulgar language will be tolerated, nor any public nuisance permitted.
- Loud noise is strictly prohibited.
- Use of speakers or other amplified sound requires written consent from the Library.
- Music with profanity, racially-offensive or misogynistic language is not permitted.
- Drones and remote-controlled vehicles are not allowed.
- The Library does not permit smoking of any type, including, but not limited to, cigarettes, e-cigarettes, vaporizers, pipes or cigars.
- Pets are not allowed. Only service animals are permitted in the Greenscape area.
- Glass containers are not permitted in the Greenscape.
- Organized or pickup team sports are not permitted in the Greenspace.
Please see the Library’s Greenscape Use Policy for more detailed instructions.
Questions about the Student Code of Conduct? Ask here.Learn How